Tuesday, December 21, 2010

(Dec. 9?)





This was our 3rd shell critique, also known as the first shell with ink! This was when I really realized that the group critiques aren’t the way I’d like to get criticism on my work, or give it for that matter on other’s work. It’s not like I’m afraid to give or take feedback, but without sounding too snobby, I would rather hear what my teacher’s ideas for improvement, what I did well from them than from my classmates. For the most part, I have little to no experience with drawing shells or ink washing them. I’m assuming (if I’m wrong, I’m sorry) the others in class have little to no experience as well in this area. So honestly, I can’t really effectively take or give the criticism. We’re all new to this idea and technique, I feel like Amy should have just made a big group critique and taken a class period to go over inking techniques and overall how to improve it.

I’m just overall really annoyed with the inked shells. This is going to sound whiney and annoying but… I have no experience with ink and I did play around with it but I still got almost nothing in terms of an outcome. It would have been more helpful to have demonstrations on how to actually ink the shells or SOMETHING. I really don’t feel like I learned anything from the lecture, it was kind of just a waste of a class period… Too much complaining I know. I’m overall disappointed with all of my shell drawings and especially my inking skills. It’s frustrating.

One other thing to complain about (bear with me) is that I wish we would have been able to draw the skeleton in correlation with the model. I think it would have been a lot easier to envision the gestures and the placement of bones in a live figure with the familiarity of the skeleton. The Maniken works, but it’s not the same and I hated the Maniken…

No comments:

Post a Comment