Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Final Refelection!


Life drawing has been my best drawing class to date. I feel like I have learned the most and improved the most from this class than ANY other art class I have taken. The best part is that I’m not quite sure when or how this happened, but looking through my past drawings to what I’m creating now is like night and day. It’s kind of strange, but I can honestly say I really like most of the drawings that I have created. Which is very rare in general that I’m proud of my work without being hypercritical.

After I get my degree in Multimedia Design I’m hoping to work with storyboarding, animations, movies, and films as well as photography focused on photojournalism, documentary, fashion and portraiture. I really love the idea of being able to draw portraits and understanding the human form so that I can use varied techniques but still know how to properly represent it. Already I can see a significant improvement in my drawings. I’m leaning towards the explanation that because my approach to how I draw has changed that’s why my skill has changed too.. if that makes sense. I’ve found standing up allows me to use my shoulder much more easily to draw. That alone should account for the majority of my progress, being able to draw with my shoulder more than my wrist and holding my media loosely instead of tightly really helped my range with lines, weights, and movement.

Because we learned how to create movement and evoke life from static poses as well as plain seashells, I feel like any drawing I create is going to take on the same characteristics. If we can make something as static and solid as a shell show motion and a sense of ‘life’ every drawing is going to just be better from experience.

This class has helped so much I’m really surprised, I just can’t get over how big of a change I’ve seen in myself. The only criticism I can give to the class is that the critiques were very unfulfilling and not at all satisfying, also I wish there would have been less super short gesture drawings and more longer gestures, well, in a perfect world---way more long poses and more working with the full skeletons. I understand the purpose to working with the short gestures to warm us up, but an hour of 30 second to 2 minute gestures got really disheartening and just frustrating. The Manikens I also think in idea form to learn the muscles is an interesting approach to learning the muscles and I understand why we needed to… but I also feel like it was unnecessary to base SO much of our grade on a clay Maniken when it’s a drawing class. I think the way our grades are averaged is kind of upsetting in a way. 2/5 of our grade have nothing to do with actually drawing---physically drawing, the blog and the Maniken. By all means we should definitely be expected to create the muscles on a Maniken and it is not asking a lot to write a blog entry every week but to base that much of our grade on it is a little excessive when we really should be focusing on drawing. BUT! This was my favorite class this semester, I learned a lot from it, took a lot out of it, and met some really amazing people. Definitely a great experience.


Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54280697@N02/collections/72157625499981807/

No comments:

Post a Comment