Sunday, December 19, 2010

(Nov.9)



(original shell)

That week we had been comparing and contrasting our original contour shell drawings with the second attempt. Originally I didn’t have my shell done on time, so I wasn’t able to actually get feedback on my shell drawings, but I know from my own criticism that my first shell was much better overall. My second shell I tried to execute the contours a bit better but for some reason I couldn’t get past the urge to outline it.

While listening to the other critiques it seemed that most people improved slightly. A lot of the previous mistakes/harder aspects of the drawing seemed to arise in the second drawing also. I think it would have been a little more helpful to draw the shell at the same angle? Or not. I’m not too sure. I think it might have been easier to recognize the problem areas and then fix them if it had been the same angle.. Definitely wouldn’t have been as interesting as a different angle, but it would have been easier to compare and contrast by far.

I don’t think I like the small group critiques as much as the critiques in other classes. Where the entire class focuses on one drawing rather than 5 people on 5 different ones. I found that it was a lot harder for others to get feedback from people on their drawings in comparison to the big group critique. A lot of people didn’t really want to talk or didn’t know what to say? We all would have been able to get more feedback and improvements from a large room critique. The downside of those critiques is that it would have taken about ten times longer to complete, but mayyybe for our second drawings that we need to improve even further—it would have been far more helpful. Something to try out perhaps? Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment